Static play API cuts off sounds in Chrome 67See original GitHub issue
Version used: 1.0.0
Describe whats happening (Include any relevant console errors, a Gist is preferred for longer errors):
Note, this issue is not about Chrome’s auto-play policy change, though it may relate to their rollback.
createjs.Sound.play to play a sequence of MP3s will occasionally cause audio to cut off. Investigating further I found that there’s a correlation between advancing sounds while Chrome’s speaker icon is fading out. (i.e. the AudioContext disconnecting) The issue will not manifest if you click through very rapidly or conversely, wait for the previous source to fully disconnect.
OS & Browser version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 / Chrome 67.0.3396.79. Additional reports on Chrome/Windows
Do you know of any workarounds?
No, however attempting to console.log
instance.sourceNode (even while DevTools are closed) causes the problem not to manifest, as though the additional function calls were enough to defer the event to a subsequent frame in the event loop.
I’m hoping switching to PreloadJS’
LoadQueue might not be subject to the same issue and will try that next.
- Provide any extra details that will help us fix your issue. Including a link to a [CodePen.io]
I’ve created an isolated test case at http://gallery.wi.tt/createjs-chrome-67/. Note that DevTools should not be open. This obviously makes it difficult to debug; In some cases (other than that mentioned above) I’ve found I can console.log certain data and then wait for the issue to reproduce before opening DevTools to see what’s in the console.
- Created 5 years ago
- Comments:7 (1 by maintainers)
Top GitHub Comments
Glad Google sorted it out. Feel free to reopen if the problem persists past Chrome 67.
Since three years we develop e-learning webapps with CreateJS. Theses apps play audio dialogs all along (With a succession of 10-20 seconds length mp3).
In our case this issue with Chrome 67 was a major one during the last two months. Our e-learning webapps were having sound cuts each minute and they became unusable on Chrome. I had to inform my clients to tell their students to switch to other browsers until Chromium pushes a new version.
I’m glad that this have been fixed, and hope that the Chromium team understood how this bug have appeared to prevent a similar issue from happening again.